Today’s Sunday brunch recipe is another porridge recipe for those mornings where I need a quick high energy breakfast to keep me going throughout the day. As usual, this recipe contains one of your 5-a-day and I’ve added some lightly toasted almonds to add a crunch to the texture as well as additional protein.
You may be wondering why I use a combination of frozen and fresh berries and the reason is cost. As as student I need to be cautious with my spending, especially when it comes to food where I can so easily get carried away. Frozen berries are far more cost effective, for example at my local supermarket for £2 I can get either 150g of fresh raspberries, or 350g of frozen raspberries. It may not seem like a lot, but if you eat porridge most days like me it all adds up! Frozen berries are almost as flavorsome and nutritious as fresh berries, the only down side is their loss of texture as they become a lot softer and almost mushy when defrosted. However, this is a positive thing when I use frozen berries in porridge recipes as they can naturally sweeten the porridge due to how easily they break down just using a fork. As frozen berries keep soooo much longer than fresh (months compared to days) I can use whatever berries I have in the freezer depending on what I fancy that day.
This recipe is also suitable for vegans if you use a dairy free milk alternative and agave syrup instead of honey!
- 50g porridge oats
- 300ml unsweetened almond milk (Nutri+Calcium) – can use any milk you prefer
- 30g fresh raspberries
- 50g frozen raspberries
- 15g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- Drizzle of clear honey (agave nectar/ maple syrup for vegans)
- Mix oats, frozen raspberries, milk, and vanilla in a large microwavable bowl.
- Heat uncovered on full power for 2 minutes and then mix, mashing the raspberries with a fork.
- Heat uncovered on full power for another 2 minutes then mix again
- If all milk is not absorbed heat again in microwave for another minute
- Mix 2/3 of the almonds into the mixture.
- Pour into serving dish and top with the rest of the almonds, the fresh raspberries, a small drizzle of honey and a light sprinkle of cinnamon.