I’ll be the first to admit this isn’t one of my prettiest recipes but I assure you its one of the most nutritious and incredibly tasty. A breakfast pitta is my favorite way of packing in a bunch of veggies and protein first thing to get me going for the day! It’s just a simple case of throwing together whatever veg you’ve got in your fridge (that’s literally what I did – feel free to use whatever veg you like!) with some eggs. At only 373 calories per serving you can’t go wrong starting your day with this recipe as it also contains a substantial 23g protein and 8g fibre.
- 1 wholemeal pitta (TIP: I store my pittas in the freezer and take out one at a time as I need them as they defrost in the toaster within minutes)
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 3 mushrooms, chopped
- 35g red cabbage, finely shredded
- Small handful of tomatoes (approx. 80g), chopped
- 10g light sweet chilli sauce
- Salt & pepper
- 1 calorie cooking spray
- Sauté onion, mushrooms, cabbage & half the red pepper in salt, pepper & 1 calorie cooking spray on high heat for 5 minutes until cooked.
- Meanwhile, toast pitta in toaster for 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat & stir in the eggs using a spatula to scrape any from the bottom of pan & sides.
- Once egg is cooked through (will cook from residual heat from pan), add the rest of the red pepper & the tomatoes.
- Cut pitta in half and fill halves with egg & vegetable mixture and the sweet chilli sauce.
- Only 373 calories
- Source of protein & fibre